Re: question about frequency timer

Wojciech Ziniewicz wrote:
Hello,

I would like to know what is the cause the stock debian kernel is
compiled with frequency timer of 250Hz while i find 1000Hz ( + dynamic
ticks ) more reliable , faster and more realtime , using the same
power for the CPU's ?

250Hz is the default value of linux kernel, and it is a trade-off
between faster and "realtime".

On desktops it seems faster with 1000Hz setting, because
it is more interactive, but there are 10 time more overhead
in comparison of server setting (100hz). This is due
to 10 time more scheduling on kernel (which take
CPU), and more cache misses, due to reloading processes.

So 250 is a good compromise between server and desktop
use.

Anyway, why do you poste in debian-isp list?

ciao
	cate

My understanding of frequency timer is not so bright so please let me
know if i've gone wrong.

regards
WZ