Re: DNS- Mail Issue

Andre Lorenz wrote:
Hi,

I've several debian etch servers with latest updates running. This servers have public IP-addresses. on server a is my primary public DNS (YYY.Y.YYY.YYY) for serveral Domains running. This DNS is also apporved and verified by DENIC / INTERNIC / DTAG ..... on my second server with an other pub. IP (XXX.X.XXX.XXX) i've running a qmail-server for all Domains.

There is following problem:
If i send to diffent domains mail, i'm getting sometimes for some domains following error :

195.4.92.211 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 inconsistent or no DNS PTR record for XXX.X.XXX.XXX (see RFC 1912 2.1)
Giving up on 195.4.92.211.

in this case it is freenet that is causing the problem.

i've already checked my dns-setup for typos, or inconsistent entries but i cand find them. Does i need a special setup on ?
or could this be a qmail-problem.

Why are you hiding xxx.x.xxx.xxx ? If you had let us know, we could have looked it up to check that we see the expected name when doing a reverse lookup. Telling us the name by which your server introduces itself would also be good.

If we assume that your server is 212.6.234.251, then you may have a problem since the command dig -x 212.6.234.251 gives no reply to me. If you can you should set up a reverse domain and enter something like mail.netsolution-net.de as a PTR record for your ip-address.

Strictly speaking having a server with no PTR record is not an error, but A LOT of servers will not speak to you if you do not have a (non-generic) ptr record for your machine.

If the server you are sending from is 212.6.249.100, then that is the one that needs a PTR record.

To get the PTR lookup to work, you either need to get your provider to enter in the correct names, or have authority for your ip-range delegated to you. From the whois record, it looks like you need to contact a company called "clearnet". Check the whois(1) command.