Re: telnet/other access to tty/pts OT]

Wojciech Ziniewicz wrote:
> 2008/2/22, Adam McGreggor <lists@amyl.org.uk>:
>
>> Erm, ssh (to box) & screen(1) -rx, perhaps?
>>
>>  Or am I completely missing the point?
>
> No ,no - i didnt make myself clear - sorry.
>
> I dont want to give any shell access to anyone .
>
> Let's say you have an application that works in the foreground on the
> console . How would you give an access to it by telnet or www ?

Hi,

unless I did not get you wrong:

In case I am somewhat sure that the application is well programmed
and doesn't open any security holes I sometimes use the application
as a shell itself. Ending the application will end the ssh session:

# cat /etc/passwd
[...]
frankfancy:x:1234:1234:Frank Fancy:/home/dummy:/usr/bin/cmatrix
doro_debug:x:1235:1235:Doro
Debugger:/home/debug:/home/debug/bin/debugconsole

Do not forget to allow your application as a valid shell:
# cat /etc/shells
# /etc/shells: valid login shells
/bin/csh
/bin/sh
/usr/bin/es
/usr/bin/ksh
/bin/ksh
/usr/bin/rc
/usr/bin/tcsh
/bin/tcsh
/usr/bin/esh
/bin/bash
/bin/rbash
/usr/bin/cmatrix

Cmatrix makes a fancy indicator that my ssh portforwarding is still
alive while not allowing me to fiddle around with the session for
something else and close it accidentially.

Hope it helps,
Norbert