Re: thoughts on moving to shared storage for VM hosting

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, Maarten Vink wrote:
> I'd suggest choosing a platform that supports RAID-6 instead of RAID-5,
> and use that, optionally with a hot spare. You might even skip the hot
> spare, since you can lose up to two active disks in a RAID-6 array.
> If you choose RAID-5 with a 12-disk array, sooner or later Murphy will
> catch up with you. The chance of a second drive in your RAID-5 array
> failing while it's doing a rebuild to the hot spare are larger than you
> might think.

Same here.

And bit-rot is a big deal with RAID-5 (as well as two-disk RAID1), RAID-6
mitigates that as well...  you'd still need to run a RAID full read and
repair any bad sectors every once in a while, but murphy will need to work
harder to cause data loss.

  Henrique Holschuh