Re: Managing disperse servers

On Fri Jun 13, 2008 at 13:40:38 +0200, Wojciech Ziniewicz wrote:

> Maybe I'm wrong but your question should be "managing many servers"
> because probably in your case geographic dispersion has no influence
> on management from the point of view of management system.

  Agreed.

> Every node (server) connects to my masterserver with question like
> "are there any commands that i should run ? " every X minutes. There
> exists a list of servers with the table format like " id,group,
> servername, serverip, command_to_run, locked_state  .. etc ".

> Of course there are issues like securing mysql traffic etc.

  Sounds like you've just re-invented a puppet/cfengine solution
 but in a less flexible manner...

  There was a time where I had a machine which hosted

     https://master.my.flat/global.sh.gpg

  Each client node would download that on the hour and execute it
 if the signature matched and it existed.  (There was also the ability
 to look for https://master.my.flat/$hostname.sh.gpg.)

  These kind of home-grown solutions tend to be woefully inflexible
 and insecure - and I've seen too many of them in my time.  Go with
 something proven, reliable, and well-known if you can.  The pain of
 migration might be high, but you'll really be better off..

Steve