Re: Content Filtering

On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 05:58:12PM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:
>> ah. ok. so "safesquid" is based on squid, as in a derivative of the
>> squid source code? are you sure? i didn't realise that. they go to some
>
> Actually, I'm sorry - I have no direct evidence of that.  I am making an
> assumption, that may be inaccurate.

this issue has annoyed me enough that i'm going to follow it up and find
out.  i'll try asking on one of the squid lists.

> Definitely.  Especially now that they're owned by Oracle, who's
> created an empire by heavily protecting their proprietary technology.

Mysql was bought by Sun, actually, not Oracle.

Oracle bought the InnoDB engine.  prompting mysql to work on their
Falcon transactional db engine....which i don't really expect to see
in production use for at least two years.

(don't see the point in either, myself....if you need a free real
db, use postgres. if a toy db is good enough, then use mysql's
myisam...using anything but myisam in mysql completely destroys mysql's
only real advantage - raw speed for simple read-only or read-mostly
apps, i.e. mostly SELECT queries with few or no INSERTs or UPDATEs)

>> ps: i've got a particular interest in and fondness for squid. i've been
>> using it for 12+ years, and i was the person who first packaged it for
>> debian back in 1996.
>
> Cool, thanks for doing that!  I've used it on and off for about that
> long so I've probably benefited from your work at some point in the
> past, or present!

Miquel van Smoorenburg adopted the package a few months after i uploaded
it - he needed more timely updates than i did...and did a much better
job of tracking the new versions :)

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>