Re: ghost files and error code 13 (mysql binlog files)

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 07:53:00PM +0000, mimo wrote:
> I've unmounted the filesystem and run fsck -r. No difference. Rebooted etc.
> I've also run a smartctl extended test and it didnt report any errors. The
> whole machine seems fines otherwise.

It looks like your filesystem is seriously fubared. Note that SMART is
not always able to detect disk failures, so smartctl test doesn't prove
that your hard disk is fine.

fsck is used on ext2/ext3, not sure if it was smart enough to call
reiserfsck automatically. In any case, try umounting the fs and running
reiserfsck on it (check the manpage first).

It is highly unlikely that mysqld could have produced those files, no
matter how you treated it. The fs is corrupted -- either due
to physical problem with the disk or reiserfs bug.

Many disk manufacturers provide simple programs to perform disk surface
test (both read-only and read-write), for example SeaTools for Seagate.
After you make a backup, check those out to determine if the disk is
indeed in bad condition.

Marcin

|  -o)  http://wanted.eu.org/
|  /\\  Message void if penguin violated