Re: [OT] Recommendation for small Switch

Michelle Konzack wrote:
Hello,

I have a customer (small association whith vey less money) where I
switch the computers from Win98 and WinXP to Debian Etch.  Currently
all is working fine, with the exception that the the workstations
handicap each other...  The reason is the 10/100 MBit Switch.

Probably broadcasting problems? ...
With name resolution in place there shouldnt be any problems at this small sized networks.

There are 3 Servers and 8 Workstaions plus an ADSL-Router and now I
am looking for a cheap Switch which has 4 ports with 1000MBit and
12 ports 10/100 Mbit, which would limit each Workstation to 100 MBit
since the Servers self can support several 100 MBit without any
problems.

Does anyone know a switch which has four GBit ports and the rest ONLY
10/100 MBit?  I have found only a Trendnet (140 Euro) which has only
two Gbit-Ports but twentyfour 10/100Mbit.

(Dont think it would make sense to produce such a thing, some switches have some Gigabit-uplink ports but dont know 1 with 4 ports ...)

So u probably want at least an 16 Port Gigabit (copper?) Switch ...
Why not limit the traffic of some ports for 100Mbit?.
(Or you could manually configure the NICs for only 100MBit as an workaround ...) Dunno for sure but maybe even cheap switches should provide this feature ...

D-Link should have some cheap (unmanaged) switches.

Note:  The switch should be availlable in France/Germany...
       Even if you know older ones which can be buyed on eBay and
       such are interesting.  (I need to know for what to search
       and in general I prefer personaly a 3Com SuperStack III)

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network