Re: Changing the default simlink to sh [was: Password file with over 3000 users.]

Nate Duehr wrote:
> "faster", "lighter" - please quantify.  Those are not engineering
> terms.  How much faster?  How much lighter?
>
> It also doesn't account for what percentage of Debian systems deployed
> are "embedded".  If 1%, who cares?  If 50%... maybe someone has a more
> reasonable argument for this change, then.

The 2nd most popular arch after i386 and amd64 is arm, just because
people use it on small end routers like with OpenWRT. For that kind of
hardware, memory & speed DOES count, and there's quite a lot out there.
I don't know where to find the numbers, I didn't search for them (they
must be quite easy to find), but it should be quite enough to take care of.

> Making the newbies fight through this change is elitist and wrong.  But
> I've come to expect that of Debian, and so have others.  Wonder if
> Ubuntu will follow suit or if they'll keep bash.

Taking care of the poorest writer is not the best way to go either. And
if I'm not mistaking, Ubuntu did the switch to dash already, didn't
they? (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Thomas