Re: Password file with over 3000 users.

On 25.09.07 18:46, Craig Sanders wrote:
> [ i note that you carefully deleted the paragraphs about locally written
> scripts - presumably because you have no answer and wish to ignore it
> and hope nobody notices. ]

I did not feel I have to differ between them.

> > > changing something that will break things for the majority in order
> > > to cater for a miniscule minority (embedded systems developers) is a
> > > ludicrous proposition. it makes no sense at all.
> >
> > those things are already broken. using dash as /bin/sh will not break them.
>
> no, those locally written ARE NOT BROKEN.

If any sscript calling /bin/sh uses bashisms, it IS broken by definition.
The fact that it's not visible, because /bin/sh and /bin/bash are the same,
does NOT mean they are not broken.

> bash has been /bin/sh on debian systems for over a decade. it is
> perfectly reasonable for a local sysadmin to take advantage of the
> non-POSIX features of the debian standard /bin/sh.

did I or anyone else say that bash MUST NOT be installed as /bin/sh?
I have no objections against this possibility. But having bash installed
just because some people break things is sick.

Spam = (S)tupid (P)eople's (A)dvertising (M)ethod