Re: Password file with over 3000 users.

Craig Sanders wrote:
4. set up a cron job (to run, say, every 5 minutes) to run the
commands
in step 3 (i.e. "cd /var/lib/misc ; make"). you probably want to
redirect stdout and stderr to /dev/null so that root's mail doesn't
get flooded with make's output (mostly "make: Nothing to be done for
`all'." unless passwd,group, or shadow have changed)

This is what I added to my /etc/crontab file:

*/5 * * * * root cd /var/lib/misc && make | grep -v "make: Nothing to be done for .all."

If changes do occur, then I will see output from them, although the output doesn't seem that meaningful -- as in you don't see which user changed his/her password....

Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan
Broadband Solutions now including VoIP