Re: Software RAID (was [OT] 19"/2U Cases)

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007, Michael Loftis wrote:
> Have you seen SMART successfully predict or even notice an issue in
> production?  We have drives go out all the time, many/most with SMART

Yes, when correctly configured to run a periodic surface scan in smartd, I
have seen SMART (on Seagate SATA disks) correct some marginal sectors, and
also give advanced warning of array corruption (bad sectors).

Far more important than just using SMART surface scans, is to have the array
recheck and validate itself *completely* at least once a week.

  Henrique Holschuh