Re: SW RAID 1 rebuild

On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 08:57:55AM +0300, Georgi Naplatanov wrote:
> Hello, I have two disk in RAID 1 array. When one of disk fails (it has
> bad sectors) the systems try to sync failed disk and after some time
> reboots and tray again to sync disk.
>
> My system was rebooted in every 7 minutes.
>
> Is there any way to disable syncing after N number of failures ?

remove the failed disk from the system. preferably replacing it with a
new drive at the same time (but if you don't have one available right
now, it's OK to just remove it and replace it later - ASAP - when you
get one).

alternatively, you could try logging in and using mdadm to remove the 2nd
drive from the array - but i'm not sure if linux sw raid will allow you to do
that while a rebuild is in progress.  worth a try.

e.g.

mdadm --remove <raid-device> <drive-or-partition>

hmmm. odd. it shouldn't be trying to sync it anyway, raid should have
marked the drive as failed by now. if 'mdadm --remove' doesn't work, you
could try 'mdadm --fail'

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>