Re: Hardware/Software RAID (nearly a religious war...)

also sprach Michael Loftis <mloftis@modwest.com> [2007.08.30.0947 +0200]:
>> And that's a feature. I've seen disk corruption where a block would
>> return wrong data only in 1/10 reads. On retry, it would work, and
>> the RAID would hide the problem from me. I'd much rather have
>> a failed drive
>
> Would a patch be accepted that allowed a controllable retry?

It would be considered, yes. Depending on the intrusiveness and
quality of the patch, it would then be accepted. The list to talk to
about this is linux-raid@vger.kernel.org .

>>> MDRAID RAID5 sets are non-bootable.
>>
>> grub2 can boot them.
>
> Is anyone shipping it yet though?  Etch still has 0.97.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2007/04/msg00328.html

"a kiss may ruin a human life."
                                                        -- oscar wilde