Re: Upgrading to Etch

Jim Popovitch wrote:
On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 14:09 -0700, cls@truffula.sj.ca.us wrote:
There's a little more to it.  Between sarge and etch
we replace devfs with udev.  You need to install udev and hal
while still on sarge.  You need to install an etch
linux-image and make an initrd.img with the new tools.
If you do it in the wrong order your system is unbootable.
No fun if it's far away in colocation.

I don't have hal or udev on my colocated servers, and I was able to test
an upgrade to Etch without adding them.  Additionally the dist-upgrade
didn't add them and the test server survived fine.  What makes you think
that udev and hal are required?

I upgraded 10 servers from sarge to etch (still testing at the time) about 3 months ago without any weirdness. I did "aptitude update && aptitude upgrade && aptitude dist-upgrade" after changing my sources list.

--
sethm@rollernet.us
Ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito