Re: no buffer space available

On 3/20/07, Maarten Vink <vink@interstroom.nl> wrote:
Neighbour table overflow
Sounds like an arp table overflow; this means you either have a *LOT* of
hosts attached to your network, or some weird routing going on.

no, not really.. now, after reboot, ip nei|wc -l reports ~250 hosts,
and about ~100 on other server.

If you are sure that you don't have routing loops or other strange
routing-stuff going on, and suspect you have more than a couple of hundred
Ethernet devices connecting to these machines, try one of the following:

Routing is pretty simple: about 50 interfaces with /24 private
networks on each, default route to server, and ppp links. Nothing
unusual.

1) Switch to using arpd (IIRC you need to set this option when compiling
your kernel, and then start the userspace arpd which is apt-gettable)

Comment on CONFIG_ARPD option says that "This code is experimental and
also obsolete."

2) Increase the values in
/proc/sys//net/ipv4/neigh/default/gc-thresh[1-3]

Tried that. These are set to 512, 1024 and 2048.

If you choose the second option, don't forget to add these to
/etc/sysctl.conf so the settings will be restored on the next reboot.

Yes I did.

I don't really think that the problem is caused by a large number of
hosts. I suppose that kernel hits some limit on some of it's caches,
and therefore fails to create both sockets and new arp entries... But
I could be wrong..

Anything else?

--
Timur Irmatov, xmpp:irmatov@jabber.ru