Re: windows dynamic storage

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 12:34:09AM -0500, Chris Wagner wrote:

> Rsync normally does time/size comparisons but can do contents with a switch
> AFAIK.  It also can't do unicode file names since it uses the ANSI file
> system interface.  Another bone headed thing it does is sets strange
> permissions on target files and does't propagate inheritance.  So it's good
> but it's not all it's cracked up to be.  This only applies to the Cygwin
> version, I haven't tried others.

I know I have run into some strange behavior with rsync on my MacBook
between it and my Debian machines (though I imagine the same thing would
happen to other Linux variants).  Whenever I do any sort of rsync
to/from the MacBook, I have to use the -c switch to rsync, to tell it to
compute the md5sum for the file and use that for comparison instead of
the actual rsync algorithm.

I've not investigated why this is necessary, but it is annoying when I
forget it and literally transfers every single file it considers, even
if the content has not changed.

Regards,

-Roberto

--