Re: apt-get install 'cept need to ignore dependencies

On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 14:01 -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 01:59:46PM -0500, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> > I need to install tripwire on a server that doesn't need a pre-packaged
> > MTA (there is a custom compiled MTA on that host).   "apt-get install
> > tripwire" wants to install all sorts of stuff, how do I inform apt that
> > there is already an MTA installed?
> >
> > -Jim P.
>
> Check out the equivs package.

<sigh>

It looked promising, until I tried to install it...

$apt-get install equivs
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  debhelper devscripts dpkg-dev fakeroot gettext html2text
intltool-debian patch po-debconf
Suggested packages:
  dh-make devscripts-el build-essential cvs-buildpackage debian-keyring
dupload dput gnuplot
  libtimedate-perl libwww-perl lintian linda mailx patchutils strace
wdiff www-browser cvs
  gettext-doc
Recommended packages:
  curl libmail-sendmail-perl libcompress-zlib-perl
  debhelper devscripts dpkg-dev equivs fakeroot gettext html2text
intltool-debian patch po-debconf
0 upgraded, 10 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 2824kB of archives.
After unpacking 8765kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Yuck.

Still, thanks for the suggestion.

-Jim P.