getting tape speed with iostat or similar

Hi,

On solaris I can get an idea of the data getting read or written to with
"iostat" - but in linux iostat does not support tape (st) devices it
appears, and I haven't found any other way to get this info. Right now
to see the rate at which something is being written to tape I have to
try and deduce it (disk read speed, strace, etc), but is there a way to
get the read/write data rate of st device use?

regards,

Duncan