Re: Backup from huge Maildirs

Raúl Alexis Betancor Santana wrote:
On Tuesday 18 September 2007 09:17:47 Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
On 13.09.07 22:38, Raúl Alexis Betancor Santana wrote:
I suggest you XFS over a LVM of SoftRaid5 for Maildir storage, fast,
stable and scale very well.
raid5 for maildir storage and fast? I don't think so.
On 18.09.07 10:13, bon wrote:
pretty fast, yes. what would you suggest instead?
raid10 (aka raid 1+0, e.g. stripe of small mirrors). Raid5 tends to be slow
on filesystems where writes are very often, like mail directories.

If you do that with software raid, it will be slower than a simple raid5, thats because you have first to write to the raid1 device and then to the raid0 device, two times trought the same io routines ... that does not sounds good, at least for me.

Although it seems everyone picks on hardware RAID vs. software RAID, and seems to prefer software RAID, decent hardware controllers do have generous battery backed caches software RAID can't typically match.

~Seth