Re: SPF (was: Re: PERSONAL xxxx - KTA)

On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 08:19:33AM -0400, Chris Wagner wrote:
> At 07:54 AM 7/1/2007 +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> >you misunderstand what SPF is for.  SPF is *NOT* an anti-spam system. it
> >is an anti-forgery system. SPF's *SOLE* purpose is for a domain owner to
> >decide which hosts are allowed to send mail claiming to be from their
> >domain. nothing more, nothing less.
>
> Tell that to all the people who incorporate SPF into their spam scoring
> systems. :\

forgeries are often spam, but that doesn't change the fact that SPF is an
anti-forgery system and NOT an anti-spam system.

blocking forgeries is desirable to many, whether the forgery is spam or not.

> >for anyone to go to the effort of switching to it.
> >
> >and forcing everyone to shift to it.... you are joking, right?
>
> Well they did force us to get new TV sets. :D  And France has managed to ram
> the metric system down the whole world's throats. :(

what else would you expect from cheese-eating surrender monkeys?

craig

ps: metric makes sense, anyway, and isn't too difficult for anywhere
except the US. a moderately reasonable education and a grasp of basic
maths (and the ability to count to 10 - fingers can be useful for that,
and by an amazing co-incidence, most of us have 10 of them) is all that
was needed.

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

How should I know if it works?  That's what beta testers are for.  I
only coded it.
		-- Attributed to Linus Torvalds, somewhere in a posting