Re: Which file system is better to use for larg files exeeding 2.5 gigs

Michael Loftis wrote:
--On May 28, 2007 12:16:07 PM +0200 Oliver CNSISP <support@cnsisp.co.za> wrote:

Which file system is better to use for larg files exeeding 2.5 gigs ??

 I have been trying to store my iso's on my server as a backup and cannot
store a file larger than 2 gigs, I am using etc2, will ext3 do it
or can any one tell me what will work

Ext2/3 fully support large files. It's really likely the application you're using does not. some of the ftpd's aren't compiled with large file support. Apache didn't used to be either, not sure about the current state for apache honestly or specific ftpd's but that's what i'd lay my money on.

I remember at some point Samba also assumed the 2GB filesystem limit, to keep compatibility with the Win9x clients (when they were still more popular). You had do do something like:

mount -t smbfs -o username=USER,password=PASS,lfs //server/share /mountpoint

I don't know if this still applies.

Hans