Re: No more than 1GB of RAM memory detected... but I have 2GB of RAM installed

Matthias Haegele wrote:
Paa.listas schrieb:
Hello,

    I have a Server with 2GB of RAM installed, but Debian Sarge with:

#cat /etc/debian_version
3.1
#uname -a
         2.4.27-2-386 #1 Wed Aug 17 09:33:35 UTC 2005 i686 GNU/Linux

    Only reports

#free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:           884        537        347

How can I tell (to the kernel) that my system memory is 2GB, so it can see
all my memory and use it?

You dont need to tell the kernel the amont of memory, if correctly installed it should be recognized.
Verify that your memory is O.K. and all should be fine.

(You could watch the Bios-Boot-Level-Messages and see if the memory is correct, or could use a knoppix-CD with memtest e.g.).
to me the values look quite like the ones when i installed 1 gig of ram into a ia32 box without highmen support...
is highmen enabled in the standard debian 2.4.27 i386 kernel?
(i don't have access to a debian box atm to verify until i get home)

yours
albert