Re: Again ... Re: security.debian.org

On 29.03.07 10:55, Raquel wrote:
> Didn't this happen a few months (maybe a year ago?) back with
> another upgrade, where it caused problems with a security server?

yes, it happened with Xfree86 upgrade. 2 new servers were then introduced in
order to prevent this problem from re-appearing.

However this does not _seem_ to be enough, and I guess it's due to "feature"
of glibc, that sorts IP addresses from numerically lowest one to numerically
highest one (so it spoils attempts for DNS load-balancing), so if any program
is the order of addresses returned via gethostbyname() or getnameinfo(), it
tries them always in the following order:

% getent hosts security.debian.org
128.101.240.212 security.debian.org
212.211.132.32  security.debian.org
212.211.132.250 security.debian.org

so no wonder _if_ 128.101.240.212 is loaded more than other servers.
many times I have to re-try update/upgrade to ask other servers and
128.101.240.212 seems to be the slowest for me.

I tried to discuss this "feature" in debian-glibc list
(http://lists.debian.org/debian-glibc/2006/05/msg00427.html
 http://lists.debian.org/debian-glibc/2006/06/msg00002.html
 http://lists.debian.org/debian-glibc/2006/06/msg00016.html
)
but first time I did not guess the right problem, then I gave up "solving"
this issue...

I hope someone will confirm or deny this... I don't know how are debian
security servers loaded... I only know that 128.101.240.212 is usually very
slow...
Honk if you love peace and quiet.