Debian Production Server Modem Query

Hi All,

Unsure of what subject to put this email as, so sorry fro the general subject heading. What I am after is a monitoring system that utilizes a modem connected via a serial connection, that on any certain error will dail a mobile or land line phone to advise the sysadmin that a serious problem has occurred. I have not herd of this before, and i can not Google anything, due to my lack of knowledge knowing the technical terms to search for.

Has anyone successfully had their debian server dial a “phone” and play a message when for example, the internet drops out, or a raid fails? Any information that will point me in the right direction would be helpful?

( I have monitoring systems in place and they email me if a problem occurs, but will be pointless if the internet connection goes down, no remote monitoring as of yet…)