Re: Strange bind/sendmail issue

On 27.09.06 16:58, Erik Dörnbach wrote:
> Sorry for the long lines, I know about them...
> I'll move the lists stuff over to a different MUA some time. :)

... go on.

> > Take a look at /etc/resolv.conf and look at the search path. For a mail
> > server, you may want to completely remove the search line.
>
> Exactly my first thought, but the search directive has only the internal
> NS zone defined, "customer.lan" and not "customer.com".

> > On Wed, 27 Sep 2006, Erik Dörnbach wrote:
> > > at one customer's site I encountered a really strange
> > > issue, regarding sendmails handling of emails with
> > > non-existing domains as recipient... running bind9 and sendmail.

> > > In detail, for what ever reason a mail with non-existing
> > > domain may enter the sendmail queue, it appears with the
> > > customer's own domain trailed to the non-existing one, making
> > > it appear as if it was a subdomain, likewise it's treated as one.
> > >
> > > For example:
> > >
> > > - Customer has domain "customer.com", the server in
> > > question is the mx for that domain
> > > - Mail enters the queue with recipient address
> > > "user@doesnotexist.net"
> > > - Mail is listed in queue/log as
> > > "user@doesnotexist.net.customer.com"

doesn't the customer.com domain have wildcard (*) MX record? I encountered
similar problem when my parent domain (my current domain wasn't the tld)
contained wildcard record. I then had to set up 'search' list in resolv.conf
not to contain the parent domain.

Microsoft dick is soft to do no harm