Re: System resource monitor tool

Do you mean snmp monitoring like cacti or mrtg?  SNMP polling is
probably the most common way to do it now.  snmp daemon resides on the
server(locked down to only be accessible by the client machine), the
'client' machine polls the servers, collects the data and graphs them
into a pretty webpage.

For realtime gkrellm also has a reporting daemon that you can watch
for statistics on your local gkrellm client, but thats mostly novelty,
not for production enviornments.  There are several other applications
like you mention, however they normally just reside on the server
without centralized monitoring.

anyway a few links are:
Cacti - http://www.cacti.net
MRTG - http://www.mrtg.com
Monit - http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/

Checkout freshmeat.  I'm sure they have dozens of different monitoring tools :)