Re: reality check: passive FTP

Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> On 31.08.06 20:26, GPLHost (thomas) wrote:
>> I had so much issues with proftpd refusing to do directory listing that
>> I completely removed it from all of our servers, replacing it by
>> pure-ftpd which is IMHO more secure, powerful, robust, etc.
>
> I would say that unless you screwed up proftpd configs, those problems were
> not caused by proftpd...

I used an automatic configuration. Then when I upgraded from Woody to
Sarge (when Sarge became the new stable), problems started with the new
proftpd version. Note that the config file didn't change between those 2
versions.

> most of problems with directory listings are caused by firewalls/NAT's on
> client's/server's side...

I have to disagree with that, as I used proftpd without firewall on both
side, and got disconnected randomly depending on the directory I was
browsing. On some directories, the problem occurred nearly all the time,
and I had to reconnect about 20 times to have the FULL directory list
(when I got disconnected, it was showing a partial list of the directory
and then just got stucked).

My solution was ... to switch all my servers to pure-ftpd !!!

I'd be happy if you could tell me a way to avoid that problem, but
anyway now that I use pure-ftpd, I feel more secure as there was many
security issues (needing a security patch) with proftpd in the past, and
there was none in pure-ftpd so far.

Thomas