Re: reality check: passive FTP

also sprach Ed Wiget <ewiget@rhpstudios.com> [2006.08.31.1605 +0200]:
> do you know if they have User Isolation Mode enabled??  (it didn't use to be
> an option for iis 5, but I haven't used iis 5 for a long time now...so it
> could have been added by a sp since I last used it)

No idea, but i found the problem, and it's on my side, of course.
Who would have thought??? :) Sorry...

My firewall had ip_nat_ftp loaded alright, but the client, which
also has an iptables ruleset, did not have ip_conntrack_ftp loaded.
Plus, the ISP told me I "have to use passive mode", which translates
to "passive mode does not work, you have to use active mode" (so it
obviously is their fault).

Once I got it working with active mode from the firewall, I quickly
figured out that the active connection from the server port 20 was
making it to the machine alright, but it never arrived at the
client.

FTP sucks.

Thanks for everyone's time and sorry for abusing this list in the
way I did. Or not. Whatever. :)

: :'  :    proud Debian developer, author, administrator, and user
`. `'`     http://people.debian.org/~madduck http://debiansystem.info

"no survivors? then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
                                               -- captain jack sparrow