Re: reality check: passive FTP

also sprach Andrew Miehs <andrew@2sheds.de> [2006.08.29.2036 +0200]:
> Is this for real?! Or did you just want to send us a funny mail?

This is for real.

> > 23.311491  local -> remote TCP 38486 > 1455 [SYN] Seq=0 Ack=0
> >Win=5840 Len=0 MSS=1460 TSV=4672689 TSER=0 WS=7
>
> Whats up with this? Looks like local has a broken ftp client, or
> why  is it trying to make a non passive connection?!

What's non-passive about this? As I understand passive FTP to work
is that the server passively waits for another connection, whereas
in active mode it would actively try to connect to the server.

When the client sent the PASV command, the server replied with
socket to use:

  23.286210  local -> remote FTP Request: PASV
  23.309130 remote -> local  FTP Response: 227 Entering
    Passive Mode (212,117,207,139,5,175).

That 5 and 175 encode the port to which the client should connect:
  5*256 + 175 = 1455.

Feel free to take a massive clue bat and whack me massively, but in
the mean time, I still think something's fishy.

: :'  :    proud Debian developer, author, administrator, and user
`. `'`     http://people.debian.org/~madduck http://debiansystem.info

do micro$oft's total cost of operation calculations
include total cost of downtime?