Re: Email question

On 21.08.06 22:00, Nate Duehr wrote:
> You completely misunderstood his problem.  People are setting the
> From and Reply-To fields of spam to his address and then sending it
> to servers that are bouncing the message, complete with content.

People try to fight this problem using techniques like SPF, DomainKeys and
others. Maybe you should look deeper at them to see whatn can you achieve.

> (Which in today's world is bad form.  If your server bounces messages
> intact today, you're a prime candidate to be used for such things.)

mail servers that use accept-then-bounce method, are hot candidates for
blacklisting by SpamCop and other blacklists.

> Until people admit that an unauthenticated, unidentified, unencrypted
> core system on today's Internet is retarded, and start looking at the
> real root-cause of the problem, nothing will change.  Actually it'll
> continue to get worse until some large organization finally says
> "enough" and comes up with a way for people to authenticate/sign
> messages to them, and they stop accepting unsigned, unauthenticated,
> and unidentified mail.

Although you are mostly right, the SMTP mail system is spread that much that
it's very hard to make any changes to it.

My mind is like a steel trap - rusty and illegal in 37 states.