Re: Debian sarge Mysql 4.1 (Too many connections)

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 07:05:44PM -0500, Jacob S wrote:

> Switch ~200 customer websites to postgresql? Just because the sites are
> becoming sucessful and attracting traffic? Surely you're not serious.
>
> Yes, I know they could all be changed over, but that doesn't sound like
> a practical solution to his problem. I doubt postgresql is that much
> better at handling lots of connections.

I know that this [0] is a bit dated, but here are two interesting
paragraphs:

----------8<----->8---------

The most interesting thing about my test results was to see how much of
a load Postgres could withstand before giving any errors. In fact,
Postgres seemed to scale 3 times higher than MySQL before giving any
errors at all. MySQL begins collapsing at about 40-50 concurrent
connections, whereas Postgres handily scaled to 120 before balking. My
guess is, that Postgres could have gone far past 120 connections with
enough memory and CPU.

On the surface, this can appear to be a huge win for Postgres, but if
you look at the results in more detail, you'll see that Postgres took up
to 2-3 times longer to generate each page, so it needs to scale 2-3
times higher just to break even with MySQL. So in terms of max numbers
of pages generated concurrently without giving errors, it's pretty much
a dead heat between the two databases. In terms of generating one page
at a time, MySQL does it up to 2-3 times faster.

----------8<----->8---------

So, the moral of the story is that MySQL sacrifices stability in a
serious way to get performance.  I am sure that more recent releases of
MySQL are more stable, but more recent releases of PostgreSQL likewise
perform even better.  AFAIAC, I take every opportunity I can to do one
of the following:

* Convince the developer to use a db-agnostic layer
* Convince the developer to use PostgreSQL
* Convince the developer to use anything *but* MySQL

I have had MySQL crash on me for no good reason when it ran my pidly
little personal site (linked in my sig).  I have never had a single
database problem after switching to PostgreSQL.  The point is, that
people developing MySQL-only webapps is just as bad (if not worse) than
people developing Windows-only or Linux-only apps.  There are too many
abstraction toolkits and what-not out there to be developing
non-portable code.  I know I am on a bit of a rant here, but it really
annoys me to see good web apps (like ISPConfig and CRM-CTT) that I can't
use becuase I will only use PostgreSQL and MySQL.

Regards,

-Roberto

[0] http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20000705.php3?print_mode=1
--