Re: Co-lo's and power

Jacob S wrote:
However, most of the Co-lo's we have seen indicate that each rack is
only fed with a 15 - 20A power line... to power the entire 42U of
space. We have about six 1U servers currently and half of them are
dual-P4 machines, all of them 2.8Ghz or faster. Add in a switch and
remote kvm and we were under the impression we would need our own 15A
line dedicated to our servers. But at least one Co-lo has said it would
cost a one time fee of $1100 to get a dedicated 15A power line run to
our servers in their rack.
Well, I haven't had this particular problem, but I'll mention a few things that come to mind. 1 - Do you share the rack with other customers? If so, what happens when they add your machines and it puts the rack over their max power draw? They'll have multiple pissed-off customers on their hands. If they don't want to lose them all, the co-lo will be pretty motivated to fix the problem themselves. So, I think that $1,100 fee is subject to a little brinkmanship. :)

2 - 15A for a fully-populated 42U seems quite low to me. I doubt that they're maxing out each rack. If so, then they might be willing to put some of your machines on a second rack (although you've probably looked into this).
So, my question to the list is, do we really need that much power for
our servers?
Go to Home Depot and buy something called a "Kill-A-Watt". I love mine. You plug it into the wall and plug other things into and it tells you the supply voltage, frequency, wattage consumed, total kWh consumed, VA, power-factor, supply current, etc. This way, you can find out exactly how many amps each machine is pulling.

- Joe