Bandwidth Prioritization and shuffling

Hi,

On my home computer I have a cable modem connection which varies from 64kbps to
320kbps.

I use a lot of applications. ssh, ftp, gnutella, http, pop, irc, yahoo, msn,
gtalk et cetera.

Problems arise when I start to do a big download. All the bandwidth is consumed
by the big download because of which applications of pop, yahoo, msn, ssh and
others break.

Is there a way to set something like:

1) If no one is using the bandwidth, utilize the full bandwidth.
2) If high priority apps like ssh, pop, yahoo, msn, pop are running; always give
them higher priority. Don't eat all the bandwidth.
3) If mid priority apps like http, ftp are running; give them higher priority.
4) If both high and medium priority applications are running, give both of them
higher priority. But at the same time don't starve yourself.

I looked at some of the packet queuing docs (lartc and others) but all assume
you know your full bandwidth.

Ritesh
--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf