Re: Debian modules

Hari Sekhon wrote:
I am also having these exact same frustrations at the moment. Why does
the stupid thing have to load so many modules and why is it not easier
and more transparent to just have it load only the modules you want?

It's because /etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf SAYs so. :-) That config file contains "MODULES=most" which tells mkinird to include most modules when it builds an initrd image after installing a new kernel. This is stupid in my opinion because you wind up with a sloppy system. If you change that setting to "MODULES=dep" and rebuild initrd with mkinitrd (including a reboot, arrgh) then you will have less modules.

I do agree with you, learning this and putting up with it is very frustrating from a *SERVER* admin standpoint. Given Ubuntu's rise in fame, Debian should just throw in the "desktop" towel and focus on a stable server platform.

-Jim P.