Re: postfix-compatible local delivery agent sought

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 12:31:20PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> Theres mailbox_command, which we can use to delegate local delivery
> to another LDA:
>
>   - there's procmail. It's a pig, and despite its weight, stench,
>     and stiff-bristled feel, it does not honour /etc/aliases, and it
>     cannot be used for virtual delivery.

huh? it's not a local delivery agent's job to honour /etc/aliases -
aliases should be resolved (by the MTA) long before any mail gets handed
to an LDA.

also, procmail CAN be used for virtual delivery. create a single
virtual user (with its own ~/.procmailrc). e.g. with login name "virt".
configure postfix to deliver user@virtual.domain to virt+user@localhost,
and use rules in ~virt/.procmailrc to decide which mailbox to deliver
mail to. works for maildir and mbox.

it may not be what you WANT to use, but it CAN do what you need.

> Until #375589 gets fixed (if ever), do you know of a performant LDA
> I could use with postfix, which provides a mail filter scripting
> interface (maildrop-compatible, ideally), but otherwise doesn't try
> to reinvent the wheel?

with under 200 users and assuming reasonably modern hardware,
performance is not going to be a serious issue no matter what LDA you
end up using. the bulk of the processing time for email is going to be
spamassassin if you use it, and that's going to be the same regardless
of the LDA.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)