Re: route throught wall or above the head ?

On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 11:00:17PM +0200, Leonardo Boselli wrote:
> I know that the question is marginally OT, but since I have had everytime
> useful responses fron this list i try again.
> I need to connect a station in a recently built building, so recently that
> until november cabling will not be present.
> that station have to be connted with a server in another building.
> I have to decide before tomorrow 26 if ask for a temporary connection that
> would cost about 400 Euro or use an alternative setup: putting two
> wireless 811b/g AP and use them to make a bridge. These aps (that i have
> available, D-link 2000+) are given for 300 m in open space . the distance
> between buldings is 380, with such apparates i have been able with their
> plastic collinear to reach only about 100m, using a portable pc on the
> other end. so i think with a better antenna on each end i could be able to
> reach the 400 m (1 MB speed could be acceptable).
> so the question i pose is this:
> I could get line of sight but i should put the antennas in two difficult
> to reach points of the two building; so it would cost some money and also
> leave some of the apparates in uncontrolled areas.
>
> I could use a directive antenna (i could get a 18 dbi one for almost
> nothing) at the two sites, this would give me plenty of signal. but then i
> would like to put the two antennas in a very easily and accessible place.
> This give me three options:
>    a. connect two points that have at least 5 heawvy leaved trees between;
>    b. "cross" trought the corner of another building, for a total of two
> walls crossed at 30 and 60 degrees
>    c. usa a clear path but this would force me to put at one end
> of the path a 2dBi antenna .....
> what can i expect by the three options ?
> sorry for OT but i have to decide before tomorrow afternoon to order the
> antennas _or_ the temporary connection ... (note: it _must_ work by 1
> august !)

I would go for the temporary connection. The wireless link is not likely to
be possible/reliable unless you have line of sight - and even then you will
need the directional antennae. And even then, you might have packet loss when
it rains (!). Generally, I have found manufacturer wifi ranges to be
optimistic at best. And you are thinking of *exceeding* the spec by 100m...

You'll definitely need line of sight.

How much does your time cost? Unless you are really not paid very much at
all, 6 months of a potentially unreliable wireless link could cost far more
than 400 euros...

Ward.

--
Pong.be         -( "Free Software as in free speech, not free beer. Think  )-
Virtual hosting -(       of freedom, not price." -- Richard Stallman       )-