Apache2 with PHP as CGI

I sent the following query to debian-user to no avail. I was wondering
if any of the people here might have an idea:

I'm having some difficultly running PHP4 scripts as CGI with Apache2.
I've installed the php4-cgi package and followed the instructions in
/usr/share/doc/php4-cgi/README.Debian.gz, and uncommented the
following line in my apache.conf:
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

But I get a 404 error whenever I try to open a PHP script:
The requested URL /cgi-bin/php4/test.php was not found on this server.

I did restart Apache after making the aforementioned changes, and I
have confirmed the existance of the file.

Thanks.