Re: Areca SATA cards

Michael Loftis wrote:

> maintain arrays in an online mode.  ICP (now owned by Intel) makes cards
> that are capable of this...but I don't know if gdth (their driver) is in
> the stock kernel or not offhand.  It seems to me it was/is, I'm running
> sarge on a machine of my own using an old GDT6528RS card.

I used ICP/Vortex (gdth driver) as SCSI raid solution for the last
years, without a single problem. Driver and online configuration are
rock solid.

But first the company was sold to intel, and then again to adaptec. Now
they're way behind with their SATA-Solutions. Their SATA-2 controllers
are announced, but not available for months now. And they did change the
disk drive format and the driver for their new models (IMO they were
forced to do so by adaptec). So as far as I know you can't use new
controllers with the reliable gdth driver. You end up patching the
kernel / compiling your own modules as with areca or 3ware.

  Claus

--
CHECON   EDV-Consulting und Redaktion
         Claus Herwig * Barer Straße 70 * 80799 München