Re: Problem with proxy arp in debian sarge kernel 2.6.x

Conny Brunnkvist wrote:
I was in the belief of that the default behaviour changed somewhere
after Linux 2.0.x and that the defaults in 2.4.x and 2.6.x are equal.

Perhaps instead it is the Debian-specific default setting
(/etc/network/options and /etc/init.d/networking) that changed between
Woody and Sarge? :-)

//conny

Thanks for your help.
I think I've tested different settings of rp_filter, but it's worth another try. The difference I noted between the computers running kernel 2.4.28 and kernel 2.6.x was really a difference in the network configuration rather than a difference in how the kernel handles my proxy arp setup. When configuring the network on the test router (running kernel 2.6.x) the exact same way as the network on the functioning router (running 2.4.28) their behaviour was identical with respect to my arp proxy "problem". In my first tests I was not careful enough to generate the *exact* same network setup. My misstake. Nevertheless, I got interested in whether or not it is possible for linux to answer arp request for computers that it has no route at all to etc.

/ep