Re: multiple hostnames

At 04:42 PM 1/25/2006 -0600, Rodney Richison wrote:
>What I don't want, is for dnsstuff or whatever to say, "machine claims
>to be ns1.rcrnet.net when the registrar says it's ns3.customerdomain.com."

>From the point of view of the network, there is no such thing as "a
machine".  There are just ip addresses.  To give one box two network
identities u just have to bind the network processes to only one ip address.
Normally processes bind to all interfaces/ips and that's the only way
anybody could know that "this machine's not what it says it is".  Have all
ur normal processes only listen on the standard ip for that box.  Then for
the alterno ip, only bind is listening.  The alt ip can have it's own
hostname, A record, reverse DNS, etc.

--
REMEMBER THE WORLD TRADE CENTER         ---=< WTC 911 >=--
"...ne cede malis"

00000100