Exim4 wildcard addresses as Postfix does

Greetings.

   I'm trying to find out if it is possible to support email addresses with
wildcards after the local_part and before the @ in the address.  I.E.
<local*@domain>.  I've been able to do <*local@domain> using an nwildlsearch.
The spec for Exim4 under section 9.2 for wildlsearch and nwildlsearch seem to
specifically spell out that <local*@domain> addresses are not supported.
Section 9.5 on partial matching in single-key lookups seems to indicate the
same thing.

   I've also been looking into the possibility of moving over to email routing
with LDAP lookups using the misc.schma in OpenLDAP (inetLocalMailRecipient,
using the mailLocalAddress and mailRoutingAddress attributes), but here again
the wildcards would seemingly be difficult.  In the case of LDAP the
wildcards would exist in people's email addresses in the mailLocalAddress or
'mail' attributes and I have not figured out a way to get a LDAP query that
will match that way.

   So -- I'm looking to see if someone on this list has perhaps run into this
and found a way to handle it.  And no, I don't want to switch to Postfix at
this time.  :-)  Before even vaguely considering doing that I still want to
get to the bottom of whether this is possible to do with Exim4 by some means.

   Thoughts, comments, and questions are all welcome.  Thanks in advance for
any input.

	- Chris

--

Chris Knadle