Re: Recommendations for server, 2 take

[This message has also been posted to linux.debian.isp.]
In article <5vjyf-7NZ-7@gated-at.bofh.it>, tps wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 06:50:51PM +0200, sin wrote:
>> Michael Moritz wrote:
>> > In my opinion using self-compiled kernels on servers isnt something
>> > I want to do.
>> >

>> and a reasonable reason would be ... ?
>
> Wow. The *first* thing I do on any internet exposed server is to recompile
> the kernel with *just* what I need, staticly compiled in, and disable
> the loadable module support. LKM rootkits are harder to install that way. :)

Does disabling LKM even slow them down any more?
ISTM the modern rootkits have other ways to
corrupt the kernel.

First thing I do is move /tmp and /var/tmp to a
partition that's mounted noexec.
Too many sloppy PHP apps.  Worms drop things in /tmp
and run them from there.

Cameron