Re: Just received a fail event from mdadm (UncorrectableError), is my drive dead?

--On October 30, 2006 1:31:02 PM -0500 Mike Garey <random51k@gmail.com> wrote:

I just received an email from mdadm monitoring saying that "A Fail
event had been detected on md device /dev/md0." According to dmesg, I
see the following:
<...>

does this mean my drive is dead and should be replaced?  Or is it a bad
block that's been remapped to another part of the drive, and I just
need to re-add my drive to the array to get it to re-sync?  Thanks,

With IDE drives it's about impossible to tell the difference. I'd try via mdadm removing the failed part of the mirror, then hotadding it back in. let it resync. If it occurs again, especially during resync, the drive is going or gone, and it's time to replace it ASAP.

Mike