nagios-statd-server: Good idea to run it on Internet server?

Hi there,

what do you folks think -- is it a good idea to run nagios-statd-server
on a box accessible via the Internet?

If I do, I will allow access only from a single IP, but IPs can be
spoofed as we all know...

Does nagios-statd-server have a record of security incidents? I couldn't
find anything on SecurityFocus, nor did anything turn up on Google...
Maybe I'm the only one considering running it on a publicly accessible
machine... ;-)

Would you recommend using an stunnel wrapper, or an ssh tunnel?

Thanks for any insight.

Cheers,

Ralf