Re: postfix + dspam + mysql + (imap & pop) for virtual domains and relaying

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 04:22:21PM -0600, David Bishop wrote:

> 5) mysql as the database to hold the aliases, uids, usernames, and
> passwords (of course?).  We're looking for this to scale, and nothing
> says scalability and 'enterpriseness' like throwing stuff in a database.

I know that I have been "flamed" in the past for my insistence that
people stay away from MySQL.  So, here I go again: please don't use
MySQL.  I know that they have gotten better of late, but their new
features are just that: new.  There are superior free choices of
databases out there.  I know some folks prefer Firebird, though I cannot
say anything about it one way or the other as I am not familiar with it.
However, I would highly recommend PostgreSQL.  Escpecially if you are
looking for great scalability, I believe PostrgeSQL is the best you can
get without shelling out $$$$ for DB2 or Oracle.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez