Re: Auto-secondarying DNS daemon

On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 03:39:37PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Paul TBBle Hampson <Paul.Hampson@Pobox.com> [2006.10.03.1521 +0200]:
>> Is there such a piece of software around as an auto-secondarying DNS
>> daemon?

> PowerDNS can do this. The concept is called
> supermasters/superslaves.

> It cannot remove zones yet. #376036.

Thanks, just read [1] and it looks pretty much perfect. ^_^

Hmm. From the bug report, does it not forget zones after the
expire time? Or do you just want it to forget them sooner?

Thanks also to the people who suggested various solutions for
replicating master data to slaves, but this has a slightly different
purpose than you seem to have envisaged.

I want to use this to offer secondary-DNS service to ISP customers
without having to futz with config files every time they add a new
DNS zone. (I have one customer with nearly 400 DNS zones, and growing,
and to make this a free-with-any-purchase service, I need to make it
0+quantum maintenance effort.)

The zones we are master for are in myDNS, so are secondaried by dint
of mySQL replication. I don't recall now why I chose myDNS over
PowerDNS, nearly a year ago now, but I do use pdns-recursor for the
ISP's customer DNS lookups. (Seperating authorative DNS from recursive
DNS turns out to be a really good idea, if you happen to be renumbering
your ISP any time soon. ^_^)

Looks like I've saved myself implementing NOTIFY-receive support in
myDNS, or *horrors* _another_ DNS daemon. ^_^

[1] http://doc.powerdns.com/slave.html

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
On-hiatus Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson@Pobox.Com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/