Re: Auto-secondarying DNS daemon

Take a look at powerdns and it's supermaster settings.

--On October 3, 2006 11:21:44 PM +1000 Paul TBBle Hampson <Paul.Hampson@Pobox.com> wrote:

Is there such a piece of software around as an auto-secondarying DNS
daemon?

Basically, I envisage something that I can give a list of trusted IP
addresses to, that'll receive NOTIFY messages from servers in that list,
and AXFR and start serving the NOTIFYd zone, after that operating on a
SOA serial number basis as per RFC 1996.

If there's not such a thing, (apt-cache and google both suggest there
isn't) then I might take a shot at writing one, in which case I need to
think more carefully about the security aspects of it, particularly if
two trusted machines both try to notify the same zone... At this point I
can't see any particularly good method except first-come first-served...

Consulting the DNS level above the supplied zone won't work if the
master is not visible to the public DNS, unless the software is
specified to always AXFR from the master server defined in the SOA
retreived by a regular DNS zone check, rather than from the source of
the notify. Or maybe ask all the listed NS servers for that zone that
aren't us for a SOA, and take the highest.

Anyway, the best solution would be someone's already solved this
problem, and it's in Google under some obscure set of keywords. Well, it
would be even better if it was a package in Debian that I've
overlooked...

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
On-hiatus Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson@Pobox.Com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/

Michael Loftis