Re: Apache2 https-ssl with single ip issues

On Sun, Oct 01, 2006 at 01:13:05PM +0200, Felipe Talavera Armero wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to set up varius vhost under apache that need to use ssl.
> In my box i have 2 ip and need more vhost than 2. I investigated and
> learnt that i only can use one vhost by ip.
>
> There are any hack that could use to have more ssl-sites without no
> more ips?

This is not possible.  The short version is that the SSL exchange occurs
before apache ever sees the HTTP hearders (remember, they are SSL
encrypted).  That means that the only information that apache has in
order to determine which SSL certificate to provide is the IP address
and port where the request arrived.  So, you could do multiple ports on
the same IP address.  For example, you could have vhost1 be at
1.1.1.1:443 and vhost two at 1.1.1.1:444 and vhost3 at 1.1.1.1:446 (I
would stay away from 445 as it is the windows SMB or CIFS port and it
will get hammered and fill your logs with bogus junk.

Anyhow, if you tried to have them all on the same port, then the client
get a certificate mismatch, which you probably do not want.

Regards,

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez