RE: Spam resistent guestbook ?

At 07:27 AM 9/26/2006 +0100, James Stevenson wrote:
>Have you seen the forms with random printed letters you need to enter ?
>This is to fool ocr software. But it still human readable. But it does stop
>the thing being machine postable.

That reminded me of a spam trap on one Direct Connect hub I get on.  U can't
use main chat until u type in the "release code".  It's a normal sentence
with junk interspersed in a random place.  U have to type in that junk to be
able to chat.  Presumably no spam script would be able to read and
understand a sentence and know which part didn't belong there.  It would go
something like this:
> This hub has an anti-spam featA@*df_aliewm49jZCC#$aku09ure.  U must type
in the code contained in this sentence to access main chat.
> A@*df_aliewm49jZCC#$aku09

The same thing can be done with a guestbook form or a message board.  The
code is never in the same place twice.  The problem with a form that just
has an "enter this code" spot is that a script can just scan for that phrase
and take the next word after that as the code word.  All effective spam
traps have to have a task that a human can perform but a script cannot.
With the current technology level this only leaves reasoning skills.
Eventually the scripts will even be able to do this.  I can only imagine how
hard it's going to be for the admin's 100 years from now to stop spam!

--
REMEMBER THE WORLD TRADE CENTER         ---=< WTC 911 >=--
"...ne cede malis"

00000100